CANopen conformance test tool
In order to enable manufacturers to check, whether the CANopen interface of their devices complies to the CANopen specification, CiA members have developed the CANopen conformance test tool. With this tool, you can test your CANopen implementations or even parts of it during the device development. Thus you can save time and money during device development. You can pre-test your devices in advance to the conformance testing by CiA.
The CANopen Conformance test tool is a pure software tool, which is currently available in Version 3.0. This version is used to verify that CANopen devices are compliant to CiA 301 version 4.2. The test tool implements the CANopen conformance test plan CiA 310. Specifications and definitions given in CANopen frameworks, CANopen device profiles or CANopen application profiles are not considered in the test tool.
Conformance test procedure
The CANopen conformance test tool verifies the communication interface of a device, whether it is compliant to the CANopen application layer. Although the test tool is focused on the application layer, failures in the lower communication layers may be detected. The CANopen conformance test tool:
- Verifies the application layer services.
- Tests the EDS (electronic data sheet) against the object dictionary of the CANopen device.
- Verifies the network management state machine and the related state transitions.
Timing requirements are neither defined nor tested!
Prerequisites for the CANopen conformance test tool
For a proper operation of the test tool, the following listed prerequisites have to be fulfilled:
- A CAN interface is required on the PC running this conformance test tool.
- A Windows operating system is required on the PC running this conformance test tool.
- The CAN interface has to provide the functionality defined in the CANopen Testing Interface (COTI) specification. The information, whether COTI is available for a certain CAN interface has to be inquired at the corresponding CAN interface provider.
CANopen conformance test tool availability
CiA members can download the CANopen conformance test tool version 3.0.2 free of charge and have to register their version. There are some system requirements to be considered:
- There is no CAN hardware offered by CiA.
- The following COTI drivers are provided: Analytica, esd, Ixxat Automation, National Instruments, Peak-System Technik, Port, and Vector Informatik
Self or CiA tested
You may proof the conformity of your CANopen product by yourself. Alternatively, you may submit your CANopen device to the CiA test-center for “official” CiA approval. Certification by a third-party is always more valuable. You may know this, when you check the spelling of a text, which you have written by yourself. Or in other words: Four eyes see more than two.
Here you find more about CiA conformance testing.
Testing leads to failure, and failure leads to understanding.